An Evangelical Pilgrimage
Random header image... Refresh for more!

Kathleen Norris :: A Prayer to Eve

kathleen norris little girls in church

Portland, OR :: I’ve been on a bit of a Kathleen Norris jag. First I read “Acedia & Me,” then “The Virgin of Bennington.” Next I’ll read “Dakota.” I plan to re-read “Cloister Walk” for an essay I have to write, and today I started Norris’ poetry collection “Little Girls in Church.” The first poem in the collection was so lovely, and so to the purpose, that I plan to post it somewhere in our RV/camper/trailer, when we get all that straightened out.

“A Prayer to Eve”

Mother of fictions
and of irony,
help us to laugh.

Mother of science
and of the critical method,
keep us humble.

Muse of listeners,
hope of interpreters,
inspire us to act.

Bless our metaphors,
that we might eat them.

Help us to know, Eve,
the one thing we must do.

Come with us, muse of exile,
mother of the road.

12 comments

1 ali { 09.07.09 at 6:43 am }

hi john. hope you’re well. your project sounds so cool. if you end up in south carolina or hereabouts, send word. i’d love to see you all and would be happy to put you up.

safe travels.

ali

2 John { 09.07.09 at 8:11 am }

Thanks, Ali. Our plan is to hit all 50 states. But even if we had no other reason to visit South Carolina, we would still head there just for a chance to see you. You’re working on your Ph.D., right? Something about women writers of the south? (Sorry if I’m way off.) I ask because I want to make a pilgrimage to Milledgeville, Georgia, and you can guess why. Have you been down there?

3 Kate { 09.07.09 at 7:21 pm }

I love this poem.

4 Alicante Car Hire { 11.04.10 at 10:05 am }

I am doing research for my university paper, thanks for your useful points, now I am acting on a sudden impulse.

- Lora

5 Hotstocked Precision { 03.26.14 at 8:42 pm }

Direction following may possibly backbone for the trade approach.

While you’ll find a range of other trading applications available Metatrader is popular given it prioritizes accessibility and enables
trading using the greatest number of brokers.

Everyone knows that a share’s price pops each time it gets upgraded.

6 Mohamed { 11.21.14 at 11:14 am }

Here are some I made up:Einstein told Chuck Norris his round house kick could not break the speed of light. Chuck Norris rebuttal by round house kicikng him from the Future.Chuck Norris doesn’t believe in surgery, he believes in rounds house kicks to the face.Satellite images of Chuck Norris started the war in Iraq.Tiger Woods imitates his swing after Chuck Norris’ round house kick.Chuck Norris walks on water because the water is scared of Chuck Norris.Chuck Norris killed a shark when he told it to not breath.When a man farts, the fart scurries back into the man and the man explodes because Chuck Norris doesn’t like stink.

7 Krishna { 11.21.14 at 4:02 pm }

Ok Jacob, those jokes are the worst jokes of all time some of them don’t even have punch lines.For everyone else, Chuck Norris jokes are hiauolris when you get them right, but you can’t just say random shit and end it with he round house kicked (them, it, him, her, etc.). That’s not creative, and not funny. If that were the case, I could say Chuck Norris had a dog . but then he round house kicked it! and people would find it hysterical.

8 auto insurance companies { 12.14.14 at 1:02 am }

That’s really shrewd! Good to see the logic set out so well.

9 insurance auto { 12.14.14 at 1:24 am }

Action requires knowledge, and now I can act!

10 cheap insurance { 12.14.14 at 2:39 am }

Ppl like you get all the brains. I just get to say thanks for he answer.

11 Mohamed { 02.26.15 at 1:57 am }

Chuck Norris doesn’t need to swallow when he eats.Chuck Norris doesn’t sleep; he waits.Chuck Norris’s teltecsis are so large his swimmers are sperm whales.When God flooded the planet Chuck Norris ate two of every animal. He swam through the storm with the animals resting in his belly. When he found dry land (he farted out a dove to find the olive branch) he pooped for eight days and set the animals free. A week later Noah arrived and Chuck Roundhouse kicked him for being late.Chuck Norris has no enemies. He has Dead People.Chuck Norris doesn’t commit murder, he removes the sick and the weak so the herd can be free of their deadweight.Every person Chuck Norris kills wins a Darwin Award because they were stupid enough to offend Chuck Norris and Chuck always removes his victims from the gene pool.

12 Elise { 03.28.15 at 8:27 pm }

Chuck Norris is his own brother.Chuck Norris can stare at the sun for as long as he wihses.Every time you here a bell ring a fairy gets its wings, every time a raindrop hits the ground Chuck Norris roundhouse kicks his next victim.Chuck Norris taught Albert Einstein.When Chuck Norris jumped into the ocean, he created a tsunami in Indonesia.Chuck Norris can catch bullets.When people look into a mirror they see their reflections, when Chuck Norris looks into a mirror the mirror refuses to look back.Chuck Norris invented north, south, east, and west.We don’t live, Chuck Norris allows us to live.Chuck Norris doesn’t go to the gym, he just jogs infinity miles every morning before breakfast.Chuck Norris counted to infinity twice.Chuck Norris doesn’t strike a match, he stares at it until it ignites.Chuck Norris gave himself laser eye surgery.Chuck Norris can hear light, then he races it and wins.Chuck Norris lost his shadow.When we make paper airplanes, Chuck Norris makes paper submarines.When Chuck Norris went camping he caught Bigfoot.Chuck Norris can look in two different directions at once.The 51st state will be called Chuck Norris.Chuck Norris doesn’t need emotions when he can roundhouse kick any problem he has.Chuck Norris can see through two way mirrors, on both sides.The only thing Chuck Norris cannot control, is his roundhouse kicks to the face.